What’s more fun than reading a book? Talking about it!
Forever Young Adult Book Club
If you enjoy Young Adult (YA) books, but you’re a little less Y and a bit more A, this is the group for you! The ZB Library FYA Book Club meets on Thursdays from 7:00-8:30 p.m. at Applebee’s in Zion. Please visit our calendar for current meeting information. Titles are available for checkout at the Adult Services desk.
- 12/11: Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge – Betrothed to the demon who rules her country and trained all her life to kill him, seventeen-year-old Nyx Triskelion must now fulfill her destiny and move to the castle to be his wife. Click here for details.
Enjoy a taste of the classics in this savory book discussion. We meet on Tuesdays from 7:00-8:30 p.m. at Stone Creek Grill in Winthrop Harbor. Please visit our calendar for meeting locations. Titles are available for checkout at the Adult Services desk.
- 11/18: One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez – The story of the rise and fall, birth and death of the mythical town of Macondo through the history of the Buendia family. Inventive, amusing, magnetic, sad, and alive with unforgettable men and women — brimming with truth, compassion, and a lyrical magic that strikes the soul — this novel is a masterpiece in the art of fiction. Click here for details.
- 12/16: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury – In a society in which books are outlawed, Montag, a regimented fireman in charge of burning the forbidden volumes, meets a revolutionary school teacher who dares to read. Suddenly he finds himself a hunted fugitive, forced to choose not only between two women, but between personal safety and intellectual freedom. Click here for details.
The Next Page
Books are best when shared! We’ll read some bestsellers and discover what’s on the next page. We meet on Wednesdays at the library from 1:00-2:00 p.m. and on Saturdays at El Lago Mexican Restaurant in Zion from 10:00-11:00 a.m. Titles are available for checkout at the Adult Services desk. Visit our calendar for meeting details.
- 12/3 & 12/6: The Pearl That Broke Its Shell by Nadia Hashimi - In Kabul, 2007, with a drug-addicted father and no brothers, Rahima and her sisters can only sporadically attend school and rarely leave the house. Their only hope lies in the ancient custom of bacha posh, which allows young Rahima to dress and be treated as a boy until she is of marriageable age. A century earlier, her great-great-grandmother Shekiba, left orphaned by an epidemic, saved herself and built a new life the same way. Crisscrossing in time, the story interweaves the tales of these two women separated by a century who share similar destinies. Click here for details.
For ZB Teens
The Hardcover Society
This book discussion group is for ZB Teens. Visit us on Facebook to learn how you can get a free book! Join us for discussions, blogging, free snacks and sodas on Thursdays from 6:00-7:00 p.m. at Applebee’s in Zion. FThe Hardcover HIGH Society is for readers in 8th through 12th grades, and the Hardcover Society is for readers in 6th through 7th grades.
- 12/11: Sisters by Raina Telgemeier – A true story about growing up…with a sister. Raina can’t wait to be a big sister. But once Amara is born, things aren’t quite how she expected them to be. Amara is cute, but she’s also a cranky, grouchy baby, and mostly prefers to play by herself. Click here for details.
Junior Hardcover Society
Readers in 3rd through 5th grades are invited to this monthly book discussion group on Mondays, from 4:30-5:30 p.m. The first three to register at the Youth Services desk with a parent or guardian will get a free book!
- 11/24: Star Wars: Jedi Academy by Jeffrey Brown – My whole life I planned on going to pilot school like the rest of my friends–then I got rejected! Along came a little green guy named Yoda who invited me to Jedi Academy. Click here for details.
- 12/22: The Long Haul (Diary of a Wimpy Kid Book 9) by Jeff Kinney – Greg Heffley and his family hit the road. Click here for details.
Guys in K-8th grades will read awesome books and talk ‘em over with other dudes. Hang out, munch on snacks and have fun playing games on Tuesdays from 4:30-5:30 p.m.
- 12/9: All Things Slimy and Gross. Click here for details.
- 11/25: A Good Day by Kevin Henkes. Click here for details.
- 12/23: Mercer Mayer’s books. Click here for details.
In order to earn prizes for reading, check out the reading challenges page!