What’s more fun than reading a book? Talking about it!
Forever Young Adult Book Club
If you enjoy Young Adult (YA) books, but you’re a little less Y and a bit more A, this is the group for you! The ZB Library FYA Book Club meets on Thursdays at 6:30 p.m. at Stone Creek Grill. Be one of the first 10 to register at the Adult Services desk and get a free copy of the book. Titles are also available on the Book Group Kindles, available for checkout at the Adult Services desk. For a link to the catalog list of all ZB FYA titles, click here.
- 8/28: The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater – Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater are awake, magic is swirling around Blue and The Raven boys and Ronan Lynch’s ability to pull objects from his dreams is almost out of control but worst of all, the mysterious Gray Man is stalking the Lynch family, looking for something called the Greywaren.
Enjoy a taste of the classics in this savory book discussion. We’ll meet on the second Tuesday of each month from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at Stone Creek Grill in Winthrop Harbor. Be one of the first 10 to register at the Adult Reference desk and get a free copy of the book. Titles are also available on the Book Group Kindles, available for checkout at the Adult Services desk. For a link to the catalog list of all ZB Literary Tastings titles, click here.
- 8/12: The Awakening by Kate Chopin -Edna Pontellier is married, twenty-eight, and at the cross road of her life. She is passionate and artistic, but has no one who understands her deep yearnings. But her life changes when she spends a summer away from her husband at a small coastal retreat.
The Next Page
Books are best when shared! We’ll read some bestsellers and discover what’s on the next page. We meet on the first Wednesday of each month from 1:00-2:00 p.m. at the library and on the fourth Saturday from 10:00-11:00 a.m. at El Lago Mexican Restaurant in Zion. Be one of the first 10 to register and get a free copy of the book. Titles are also available on the Book Group Kindles, available for checkout at the Adult Services desk. For a link to the catalog list of all ZB Next Page titles, click here.
- 8/6 and 8/23: Under the Wide and Starry Sky by Nancy Horan – This book chronicles the unconventional love affair of Scottish literary giant Robert Louis Stevenson, author of classics including Treasure Island and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and American divorcee Fanny Van de Grift Osbourne. They meet in rural France in 1875, when Fanny, having run away from her philandering husband back in California, takes refuge there with her children. Stevenson too is escaping from his life, running from family pressure to become a lawyer. And so begins a turbulent love affair that will last two decades and span the world.
For ZB Teens
High School teens in 9th through 12th grades will meet on Thursday, 8/14 from 7:15-8:15 p.m. at Applebee’s in Zion to share their favorite books.
The Hardcover Society
This book discussion group is for ZB Teens. Visit zbteens.com to learn how you can get a free book! Join us for discussions, blogging, free snacks and sodas on Thursdays from 6:00-7:00 p.m. at Applebee’s in Zion.
The Hardcover Society: For readers in 6th through 7th grades.
- 8/14: Independent Study by Joelle Charbonneau – Now a freshman at the University in Tosu City with her hometown sweetheart, Tomas, Cia Vale attempts to expose the ugly truth behind the government’s grueling and deadly Testing, putting her and her loved ones in great danger.
The Hardcover HIGH Society: For readers in 8th through 12th grades.
- 8/14: The Kiss of Deception by Mary Pearson – In a society steeped in tradition, Princess Lia’s life follows a preordained course. As First Daughter, she is expected to have the revered gift of sight–but she doesn’t–and she knows her parents are perpetrating a sham when they arrange her marriage to secure an alliance with a neighboring kingdom–to a prince she has never met.
Junior Hardcover Society
Readers in 3rd and 4th grades are invited to this monthly book discussion group on Mondays, from 3:30-4:30 p.m. The first four to register at the Youth Services desk with a parent or guardian will get a free book!
- 8/4: Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli – After his parents die, Jeffrey Lionel Magee’s life becomes legendary, as he accomplishes athletic and other feats which awe his contemporaries.
Guys in K-8th grades will read awesome books and talk ‘em over with other dudes. Hang out, munch on snacks and have fun playing games on Tuesday, 8/19 from 3:30-4:30 p.m.
Kids – If you’ve ever been tempted to stay up all night reading a good book, then this club is for you! Night Owls meets on Tuesdays and we’re sure to have a hoot!
- 7/29: We’ll read a book by Marc Brown and share adventures with Arthur and DW from 2:00-3:00 p.m.
- 8/26: This month belongs to Eric Carle and his art. We’ll read The Very Hungry Caterpillar and more from 3:30-4:30 p.m.
In order to earn prizes for reading, check out the reading challenges page!