75 years ago a group of community-minded citizens determined that Zion needed a public library. After two years planning and fundraising, the Zion Memorial Library opened in March, 1937. Books and magazines were the stock in trade.
Information now comes in many forms besides print. ZBPL offers 24/7 access to electronic resources from periodicals to genealogy to car repair. You can get a book in regular print, large print, as a CD or an MP3, or an e-book download.
Library programs add value to the collection. 7,597 people have attended library-sponsored programs this year – that’s an average of 21 people per program and 36 people per day.
- Comic Celebration, a day-long festival of comics, anime, and graphic novels
- LibraryPalooza, the annual celebrate-the-library event in September
- Holiday music in the lobby with local musicians
- Wednesday Explorers – after-school adventure and discovery clubs
- Literacy tutoring and GED preparation
- Computer classes in English and Spanish
- Storytimes for toddlers and preschoolers
- After-school homework help
- Genealogy research assistance
The PARTNERS IN READING annual campaign makes these and other programs possible.
The coming year will be a financial challenge for the library. Property values have declined which impacts the library’s revenue. The PARTNERS IN READING goal for our 75th anniversary year, 2012, is $7,500.
Your gift to PARTNERS IN READING benefits everyone in Beach Park, Winthrop Harbor, and Zion.
- $35.00 buys craft supplies for a storytime unit or a Wednesday after-school club.
- $75.00 provides paperback books for children who complete their summer reading club contracts.
- $125.00 underwrites the speaker fee for a Lifelong Learning program.
- $350.00 underwrites the performer’s fee for a Family Program.
- $750.00 purchases a laptop computer for tutoring and skills training.
Your gift will be acknowledged in the library newsletter, on our website in our weekly eNews and on our social media sites.
Since our founding in 1937 the library has attained and maintained its services and programs with the generous support of the community.
We are counting on you this year – and we appreciate your support.
2012 PARTNERS IN READING
- ACE Hardware #4137-C, Zion
- George & Sally Andersson, Zion
- Ann’s Hallmark, Zion
- Anonymous, Zion
- Bee Zion Nails, Zion
- Benton Township, Beach Park
- Kurt & Marcella Bradison, Winthrop Harbor
- Videos by Gibbie Productions, Gibbie Buchholtz, Zion
- R. Lee Donnenwirth, Zion
- Dr. & Mrs. David Engstrom, Zion
- Roger & Claire Erickson, Beach Park
- Cheryl Fischer, Winthrop Harbor
- Arthur Fossland, Winthrop Harbor
- Mr. & Mrs. Furtkamp, Zion
- Marilyn Goodman, Winthrop Harbor
- Grand Appliance & TV, Zion
- Liz Grulke, Winthrop Harbor
- Harbor Animal Hospital, Winthrop Harbor
- Sandra Heathcote, Winthrop Harbor
- Stevens & Nann Hilyard, Winthrop Harbor*
- Pat Hodge, Winthrop Harbor
- Stephen Howell, Zion
- James Janus*, Winthrop Harbor
- Meridith Jumisko, Winthrop Harbor
- Keddy Family, Beach Park
- Kiwanis Club of Zion-Benton
- Bill & Debbie Kolb, Zion
- Harry & Ann Larson, Zion
- Dr. Patrick Matchette, Winthrop Harbor
- Maves Chiropractic Clinic, Beach Park
- Beth McLain, Winthrop Harbor
- Laurie & Mike Mercure, Beach Park
- Meyer Engineering Company, Winthrop Harbor
- Midwestern Regional Medical Center, Zion
- Mt. Olivet Memorial Park,* Zion
- Randy Nebel, State Farm Insurance, Zion
- Nu Glo Cleaners, Zion
- Nancy & Jay Owens, Beach Park
- Genevra Ower, Zion
- Chuck & Lee Paxton, Zion
- John & Debbie Potocek, Zion
- Esther Poulsen, Zion
- Terry & Kathy Printz, Winthrop Harbor
- Chris Redic, State Farm Insurance, Winthrop Harbor
- Roger Ritzman, Wheaton
- Roger J. Schwab Plumbing, Beach Park
- Steffi Smith, Winthrop Harbor
- Thomas Hair Styling, Zion
- Philip Tobin, Wadsworth
- Veolia ES Zion Landfill, Inc., Zion
- Mrs. Mary Rose Williams, Waukegan
- Zion-Benton Moose Lodge 667, Zion
- Zion Genealogical Society, Zion
* PROGRAM SPONSOR