Interested in working at the Zion-Benton Public Library? This page lists current job openings at the Library. You will need Adobe Reader installed on your computer to view PDFs on this page online.
In addition to employment opportunities, you will find career services resources listed at ALA JobList and Career Resource Center, which include career development information; job-seeking tips; links to job ads, selected articles, and current news; and more.
Title: Security Monitor
Reports to: Maintenance Security Supervisor
Jobs Supervised: May supervise volunteers as assigned.
Schedule: Part-time 16 hours/ week, Non-Exempt. Hours are Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 3pm-7pm, and Wednesday 2pm-6pm. Occasional Saturdays and help needed during “late-night” events after regular library hours. Eventual Sunday hours required.
Wage: Starting between 11$- $13 per hour, experience is a factor in the starting range.
Nature and Scope of Position:
The Security Monitor will be responsible for the safety of the library, its staff and patrons. The Applicant must be confidant in de-escalation techniques and handling a variety of issues involving the public on a daily basis. The Applicant will have to deal directly with children 8-18 on a daily basis in an after school club setting.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Patrol and monitor library
- Supervise the library’s After School Program and serve snacks daily
- Engage with difficult or irate adult and youth patrons and de-escalate situations
- Remove banned patrons from premises by non-physically confrontational means
- Work directly with local law enforcement
- Be able to navigate CCTV system
- Perform cash deposit drops at local bank
- Write incident reports in electronic log system
- Act as witness in court
- Assist with room set ups
- light janitorial duties
- May serve as person-in-charge as assigned
- Performs other duties as assigned
Essential Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowing when to “observe-and-report” and when to engage a subject.
- Good verbal judo skills
- Professional demeanor and a team player.
- Strong ability to adapt to change.
- Basic keyboard, data entry, and typing skills.
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service.
- Well-developed oral communications skill.Sec
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to read, write and speak English.
- Ability to give and receive instructions in English.
- Alpha-numeric recognition skill.
- Ability to use basic office equipment.
- Ability to pass a criminal background check.
- Must have access to reliable transportation.
- Requires full range of motion, including standing, sitting, or walking for extended periods
- Requires bending, stooping, and reaching to retrieve library materials
- Must have dexterity and eye-hand coordination to move materials or operate automated equipment
- Must be able to lift boxes of books, paper, or other items weighing up to 40 lbs
Contacts: Patrons, volunteers, other library staff, and peers at other organizations
Working Conditions: Normal office conditions. Occasional outside duties in permitting weather
Education and Experience:
- Previous security experience is preferred
- Ability to deal with patrons of all skill levels and ages
- Ability to represent the library at professional and community events
- Ability to read, write, and speak Spanish is a plus
Position open-till-filled. To apply please submit a resume, letter of interest and three professional references to Bonn Busch, Maintenance/Security Supervisor firstname.lastname@example.org
Zion-Benton Public Library District is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.