- The position of Monitor of the Zion-Benton Public Library District is hereby established.
- The monitor shall be assigned to the Administrative Services Department of the District.
- The monitor is responsible to the Assistant Director.
Provided they are certified police officers in the State of Illinois, Monitors are hereby authorized to bear arms while carrying out their duties and functions on behalf of the District.
Monitors, who are certified police officers, shall have the power to issue citations and make arrest on view of an offense or on warrants for violation of the law in the same manner as that provided by law for the violation of ordinances and laws in cities organized under the general laws of this state.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Patrols public areas of the building and the grounds, enforcing the library’s behavior policy in a consistent, courteous, sensitive yet assertive manner.
- Contacts parents of minors in a timely manner to advise them of ongoing disciplinary problems.
- Responds to theft detection system in a timely manner and according to established procedures.
- Expels disorderly patrons from building and grounds, according to established library policies and procedures and in a manner that is least disruptive to other patrons and staff.
- Reports significant problems, unusual or particularly disruptive incidents, police intervention, etc. along with action taken, to supervisor and/or Person-in-Charge.
- Contacts police, fire department, or paramedics for assistance in emergency situations.
- Secures building at closing time according to established procedures.
Duty To Serve As Witness
Monitors shall appear as a witness whenever this is necessary in a prosecution for a violation of Library District Ordinance, or of a State or Federal Law. No such member shall receive any witness fee for such service in any action or suit to which the District is a party. All fees due for such service, if paid, are to be turned over to the District Treasurer.
General Conduct Of Monitors
It shall be the duty of every Monitor to conduct himself/herself in a proper and law-abiding manner. The use of unnecessary force will result in immediate dismissal from the District.