The library district is committed to providing service to all members of our community. This goal makes it necessary for staff to provide a variety of activities outside the physical library facilities and is identified as Traveling Library Services.
Section 1: Eligibility
Individuals, groups and entities are eligible for Traveling Library Services, defined as library services provided in a physical location outside of the library’s walls, if they reside in or are located within the boundaries of the Zion-Benton Public Library District.
Individuals, groups and entities to which the library may provide Traveling Library Services include, but are not limited to:
- Senior centers and senior residences
- Residents who are physically unable to visit the library
- Agencies caring for disabled people
- Village facilities located within the library district
- Park district facilities located within the library district
Section 2: Services
Traveling Library Services provided by the library may include but are not limited to:
- Lending of library materials
- Pickup of library materials
- Onsite visits by staff to provide instructional services, programming, library card registration, circulation of materials, summer reading registration, or other services.
- Facilitating services between the member and the federal program known as “Services to the Blind and Physically Handicapped.”
A special subset of Traveling Library Services is Homebound Service. This is the provision of home delivery to members with ZB Library cards who have disabilities or disabling conditions that prevent them from coming to the library.
Items circulated to homebound patrons are checked out to the individual’s card. Fines are not accrued on homebound cards; however the individual is liable for lost or damaged materials.
As Traveling Library and Homebound Services are directed by the library’s own mission and state and federal laws, the library seeks to offer the same services to members with disabilities as to all other segments of the population. The level of service provided will be determined by the library director consistent with the library’s vision and values.