Programs in The Sandbox are for teens in grades 6-12, but some programs are open to kids in grade 5 and others are even open to adults! Check the current calendar for program dates and age ranges.
ZB INKED WRITING CONTEST
- All entries are due November 4th by 9pm.
- You may enter up to two stories.
- All entries must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. No paper submissions will be accepted.
- ZB Inked is open to 6th-12th grade students (public, private, or home schooled) in the ZB district including Zion, Winthrop Harbor, and Beach Park. Submissions by students outside of the district will not eligible to win.
- Entries must be no longer than 4 pages. Entries must be double spaced using Times Roman Font.
- There will be two categories: 6-8th grade and 9-12 grade.
- You will be judged on grammar, creativity, originality, and original use of characters.
- Your entry must include the following: full name, grade, school, an email you check often, and a working phone number. You will lose points if one of the above is missing on your entry.
- Winners will be announced by November 20th. All prizes must be picked up in the teen room by November 30th or you forfeit your prize.
- A winner for each prize is not guaranteed. (There may be a grand prize, 1st and 2nd place but no 3rd).
- You can submit your Wattpad story! Simply search “zbteens” in Wattpad and share it with us.
- Follow zbteens on FB or IG for writing tips from the judges.
- Ask the judges, Dawn and Shoshana, to proof read your story to provide feedback.
- Attend So You Wanna Write Good on October 9th anytime between 11am-7pm in The Sandbox
Join the Resistance Teen Book Discussion Group
Do you like to read and discuss books? Do you like free ice cream or coffee? Join the Resistance, a teen book club that meets at Callie’s Coffee Bar at the Inn at Market Square. Call 847.872.4680, ext. 119 for more information.
Thursday, November 9, 2017 – Turtles All the Way Down by John Green
Please visit the Hive to pick up your free copy of the book
Callie’s Coffee inside Market Square Hotel (across from It’s All Good)
The Makerspace is Getting a New Name!
Please check back at the end of August to see our new name and logo. In the meantime, The Hive is still open. We are located in the Information Services Department of the library where the old computer lab used to be. In The Hive, you’ll find a 3D printer, art supplies of all kinds, jewelry making supplies, electronic circuitry boards, and so much more.
- Monday-Thursday- 2:00-8:00pm
The Hive is open to patrons is grades 6 through 12 and adults. Patrons in grades K-5 may attend programs with Miss Garnet.
September Programs: Sandbox September Calendar PDF
- Thursdays-Open Art-Stop in any time to use our art supplies
- Grades 6-12
Learn How to 3D Print
- Wednesdays in August
- Grades 6-12
3D Printing Certification-All patrons must be certified before they may use the 3D printer independently.
How Do I Get Certified?
- Attend a 3D certification class that begins in October
A staff member will show participants how to use the 3D printer available at the Zion-Benton Public Library’s makerspace – including: how to prepare a 3D design file for print; how to use the equipment properly and safely; reviewing the rules and guidelines to using the 3D printer.
- October 23, 2017 @4-5pm
- November 18, 2017 @2-3pm
- November 23, 2017 @4-5pm
- After attending one class, patrons must make an appointment with the makerspace staff to learn how to design a print.