Interested in working at the Zion-Benton Public Library? This page lists current job openings at the Library.
Job Title: Youth Services Associate
Position Reports to: Youth Services Coordinator
Details: Part time, non supervisory position
Nature and Scope of Position:
The principal responsibility of this position is to perform library work in the Youth Services department. The position focuses on providing outstanding customer service interactions at the reference/readers’ advisory desk along with leading technology programming & initiatives for youth & families.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Provide reference, information, and reader services
- Respond to patron requests for games, toys, activities, and resources
- Monitor the department to maintain a safe and clean space
- Coordinate the Youth Services Tech Table offerings
- Oversee the Youth Services circulating STEM kits
- Research emerging, kid-centric technologies and recommend purchases
- Design and implement ways to keep staff up to date on new apps & trends
- Design and lead occasional technology programming to children
- Provide support that enables patrons at all levels to understand and use technology, products and services
- Promote library resources and programs through PR and marketing
- Participates in one on one library instruction
- Stay up to date on books, movies, games and youth pop culture
- Participates in staff, department and other professional meetings related to job responsibilities, as assigned
- Perform other duties as assigned
Essential Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Genuine interest in technology and STEM tinkering
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service
- Ability to plan and execute successful technology programs
- Knowledge in current technology built for kids and finesse using a variety of devices and apps
- Patience and skills to provide training that enables patrons and staff at all levels to understand and use technologies, products and services
- Proven ability to connect with children and families of varying demographics and developmental needs
- Professional demeanor, inclusive attitude and a team mentality
- Ability to independently exercise judgement within established guidelines on matters relating to patron experience and inquiries
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, adapt as needed and see projects through to completion
- Ability to deal calmly and effectively with a wide range of individuals, in some cases under busy conditions
- Proficient in the use of current library resources and office programs
- Effective oral and written communication skills in English
- Fluency in Spanish language preferred
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, L.T.A., and/or relevant experience required
- Experience working with children, caregivers and families required
- MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited school or Master’s degree in related field preferred
- Experience working in a school or public library preferred
This is a part time, 16 hour a week position. Schedule requires day, evening and weekend hours though mainly evening and weekend hours. Pay rate starts at $14.87/hour DOQ.
Please submit a letter of interest, resume, and three professional references to Garnet Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org) with Youth Services PT Associate in the subject line.
Open till filled.
Zion-Benton Public Library District is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.